All Things Christian Book Reviews - The Miracle of America

Educational, Impressive, and Captivating
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

From the introduction alone, I could tell that The Miracle of America was going to be an educational and captivating read. The book immediately emphasizes why understanding history and politics matters, reminding readers that many of the ideas and foundations that shaped America have gradually been forgotten. It encouraged me to revisit my knowledge about my country and challenged me to ask important questions that I had honestly never stopped to consider before: "What is the American ethic? Where does it come from? How does the Bible relate to this ethic?" Those questions immediately drew me in and set the stage for an engaging exploration of America's origins.

As the author, Angela E. Kamrath writes, "The Miracle of America is a comprehensive study of America's philosophical origins or founding ethic and its relation to the Bible," and accurately so, the book is just that. Every chapter is packed with well-researched information covering topics such as popular sovereignty, the Protestant Reformation, the Pilgrims, the Mayflower, religious identity, and the influence of biblical and Judeo-Christian principles on America's founding. I especially appreciated that the book is thoroughly cited, making it easy for readers to explore the sources for themselves. One of my favorite features was that each chapter concludes with review questions, activities, and a “call to action”. It almost feels like a workbook, making it an excellent resource not only for personal study but also for classrooms, homeschool families, Bible studies, and discussion groups.

I have never considered myself a history enthusiast. Because of that, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this book nearly as much as I did. What surprised me most was how engaging and approachable the writing was. I found myself genuinely interested in subjects I normally would have overlooked. Before reading this book, I never fully realized just how much the Bible and Judeo-Christian principles influenced America's founding. Seeing Scripture tied together so naturally throughout the historical discussion was both refreshing and fascinating. I also appreciated that the author doesn't try to persuade readers to support a particular political party. Instead, she simply encourages us to know our history, examine the historical evidence for ourselves, and become more informed about the foundations upon which America was built.

I also admired the author's honesty throughout the book. From the very beginning, she makes it clear that her purpose is not to convince readers that America has always been perfect, but rather to present the founding of America as a remarkable work of God's providence in history. That balanced approach made the book feel sincere rather than argumentative. One section that especially stood out to me was the connection the author draws between America's resistance to British rule and Israel's resistance to oppressive rulers in Scripture. It was a fascinating comparison that gave me an entirely new perspective and was one of the most memorable parts of the book for me.

Overall, I genuinely enjoyed reading The Miracle of America. It challenged me to think differently, taught me things I had never learned before, and gave me a much greater appreciation for both American history and the role the Bible played in shaping many of its founding principles. Even as someone who doesn't usually gravitate toward history books, I found myself engaged from beginning to end. I can easily see this becoming a valuable resource for students, teachers, homeschool families, small groups, and anyone interested in learning more about America's history through a biblical lens. It's an informative, well-researched, and encouraging read that left me with a deeper appreciation for the importance of understanding where our nation came from.